What to know before verifying your Google My Business listing
For any local business, like your gym, you'll need to verify that you are the business owner by physical mail. This process typically takes between 7-14 days from start to finish, so the results will not be immediate.
For some, this seems like a long time to wait. However, please take the time to verify that you own the listing! Verifying will unlock all the potential that a Google My Business (GMB) can give your gym. You'll be able to update your business information, respond to reviews, add photos, and connect with your community.
As an added bonus, you make sure that no one else will be able to falsely verify that they own your gym. This is the main reason that Google enforces such strict verification, going as far as doing a physical verification process by mail.
How to verify your business on Google (step-by-step)
If you haven't created or claimed your listing already, follow this guide to do so. Then, you'll be able to follow these steps to verify your Google My Business listing:
- On your computer, sign in to Google My Business.
- Choose the gym you want to verify, then click Verify now.
- You'll see a "postcard request screen," where you'll need to double-check your gym's address. Make sure this is correct or you'll have to wait 7-14 more days for another postcard to be sent to the real address.
- Request the postcard to be sent to your gym's address.
- Wait for 7-14 days for the postcard to be sent to your gym.
Once the postcard arrives, you'll need to sign in to Google My Business again and follow these steps to complete verification:
- Choose the business you want to verify.
- Click Verify location from the menu.
- Where it says “Code," enter your 5-digit verification code that came printed on your postcard.
- Submit the code.
Congratulations, you're the verified owner of your gym on Google! 🎉
You'll notice now that you've properly verified your Google My Business listing, you have more options and access to updating and publishing more types of content on for listing.
We'd really recommend taking advantage of your new superpowers by optimizing your business information, adding amazing photos of your gym, and learning how to consistently get new reviews from your clients as places to start!